Congratulations on your new job. If you have any questions about the information provided below, then please speak to your line manager. You can contact the HEE LKS North team for further information and advice.
The Structure of the NHS. . .
is always changing. The last major reorganisation took place in April 2013. NHS England has information on understanding the NHS at: https://www.england.nhs.uk/ participation/nhs/
HEE North East and Yorkshire and HEE North West
HEE is responsible for the planning, development, education and training of the healthcare and public health workforce – a remit which includes healthcare library services. HEE operates across seven geographical regions of which HEE North East and Yorkshire and HEE North West are two. A contract called the Learning & Development Agreement (LDA) exists between HEE and each Trust which outlines the requirements of each in respect of education and training. The LDA includes a schedule relating to library and knowledge services (LKS).
Knowledge for Healthcare
Knowledge for Healthcare is the HEE national framework for the development of NHS LKS. The vision underpinning the framework states:
"NHS bodies, their staff, learners, patients and the public use the right knowledge and evidence, at the right time, in the right place, enabling high quality decision-making, learning, research and innovation to achieve excellent healthcare and health improvement."
Sign up to follow the blog to keep you up to date with the work programmes associated with implementing Knowledge for Healthcare at http://kfh.libraryservices.nhs.uk/
Useful Resources on the blog include:
- Learning Zone - http://kfh.libraryservices.nhs.uk/learning-zone/
- Patient and Public Information - http://kfh.libraryservices.nhs.uk/patient-and-public-information/
- Knowledge Management - http://kfh.libraryservices.nhs.uk/knowledge-management/
- Value and Impact Toolkit - http://kfh.libraryservices.nhs.uk/value-and-impact-toolkit/
- Quality and Improvement Outcomes - https://kfh.libraryservices.nhs.uk/quality-and-improvement-outcomes/
Health Library and Information Services directory
A comprehensive directory of health libraries and information services across the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland - https://www.hlisd.org/
A Million Decisions is a joint campaign led by the CILIP Health Libraries Group (HLG) and Health Education England’s Library and Knowledge Services (HEELKS) and supported by CILIP (The Library and Information Association).
Please make sure you sign up for the Northern Email list which all northern LKS staff should be a member of. You can do this at https://lists.libraryservices.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/northlks
You can find a full list of regional and national email lists at https://www.lksnorth.nhs.uk/useful-links/mailing-lists/
National: The aim of the Knowledge Services Briefing: Editorial Issue, Knowledge Services Briefing: General Update and the Knowledge Services Briefing: Development Opportunities and People News is to keep you informed about national and regional initiatives, network news and CPD opportunities.
Northern Lights: Northern Lights is the online blog/magazine by and for the Northern Health Libraries community. It covers new developments, conferences and courses people have been to and helps share good practice and spread fresh ideas.
Sign up to receive the briefings and Northern Lights at https://www.lksnorth.nhs.uk/newsletters/
- National LKS site - libraryservices.nhs.uk
- Northern Networks site - lksnorth.nhs.uk
- Northern blog - https://www.lksnorth.nhs.uk/blog/
- Events calendar - https://www.lksnorth.nhs.uk/events/
- Contact details for Northern HEE team - https://www.lksnorth.nhs.uk/hee-lks-north/
- Local resources - https://www.lksnorth.nhs.uk/resources/
- Union List of Journals - https://www.lksnorth.nhs.uk/resources/union-list-of-journals/
- Staff Library - https://www.lksnorth.nhs.uk/resources/staff-library/
- Northern Open Athens Help Desk: email@example.com
- Northern Link Resolver Help Desk: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LIHNN (Library and Information Health Network North West)
- YOHHLNet (Yorkshire and Humber Health Libraries & Knowledge Network)
- HLN (Health Libraries North East)
- NELL (North East Library Leads)
- Northern Health and Wellbeing Network
CILIP Professional Registration
Professional Registration with CILIP is the perfect way to demonstrate your commitment to your personal development and the profession.